Sunday, September 21, 2008

I DID A BAD THING


I am not repenting but, I would like some advice.

This morning was just another Sunday morning:
Me and kids rushing around getting ready for church, getting suits on, curling hair, grabbing scriptures, eating breakfast, brushing teeth, getting Carson necessities, getting calling folders and hoping to be there before 9:00am. If we are lucky, we find dad there saving us a seat. (Sometimes we are blessed enough to get in him in our ward.) Anyway, things were great, it was 8:30am and we were all ready except for our lovely Addy. Addy is 6. She is our most extreme. There is no middle ground anywhere. I really do love her to death, don't get me wrong. This morning was like most, Addy didn't want to wake up, so, I assisted her. (Nicely, I might add.) We love "Love and Logic" in this house. (We have loved it for 6 years.) I gave her choices concerning her outfit, her hair due, and her breakfast. She wanted nothing from me so, I chose for her. I put her dress on her that I chose for her and took her in the bathroom and curled her hair while the other 4 children were obediently getting in the car with all of their gear.

All crap hit the fan when I curled one of her curls too tight. She said:

"Why do you curl so bad?" "You should know how to curl, you are a mom." "Why do I have to be in this family?" "You can't make me wear this dress, it's so ugly." "I don't even have on a necklace to match it, so I am taking it off."
She took off her dress and got her curls wet and ran down to her bedroom before I could open my mouth. I didn't want to chase her and say things I would regret......so, what did I do?...........

I LEFT HER!!!!

Please don't call child protective services on me. I thought it might be a good thing in the end.

Well, we got to church and Randy was there saving us a seat. I waited to see if he would notice that a child was missing. He is so smart....he leaned over and
whispered in my ear, "Where's Addison?" I said, "We had a bad morning and I left her." "WHAT, you left her where? In the car?" "No, at home." He immediately left the chapel on 2 wheels.

He came back 5 min later..we only live 1/5 a mile from the church so it's not that big of a deal. Anyway, Addy came in holding dad's hand with a big smile on her face. She walked past me and whispered in my ear, "I am going to tell the whole church that you left your child at home BY HERSELF."

It wasn't a good thing in the end. If I could only find more patience. I need help.

Please don't judge me if you do not have a determined child. I really thought parenting was easy and wonderful before our 4th. I DID judge others that could not control their children...I guess it is payback time. I would love any advice.



16 comments:

Kathy Slattengren said...

I can appreciate the stress of getting children ready and out the door on time for church (and I only have two to deal with!). You could sit down alone with Addy and let her know that you didn’t feel good about how Sunday morning went and want her ideas for how to improve things. Listen carefully to her suggestions and then agree to a new plan to try this Sunday. It sounds like she’s ready for more control over things like what she wears and her hair style; you need her to be in the car by 8:30. Giving her more control could mean she gets in the car at 8:30 still in her pajamas with uncombed hair (perhaps with clothes and a brush in a bag so she can get dressed in the car … or just wear pajamas to church). Next week discuss how Sunday morning went and figure out any changes to the plan. Good luck!

Christie said...

I think she deserved to be left for attitude like that. WOWZA. No judging here. I've got one of those myself, and it's a battle of wills sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I so wish I could help you but I have 2 boys here, we just get out the belt and give a nice whippin. No, just kiddin! I haven't had to deal with quite that much drama with my boys! If I come across a great idea I will be sure to pass it along. I am a talker with my kids. Definitely sit and talk with her and discuss what we are going to do different next Sunday to make Jesus happy!

Joy & Casey said...

IF you find an answer please share-
Addy sounds just like my Jaycee and she in number 4. We have a battle every single Sunday. Love her but she makes me nuts!!! I have not left her home from church YET because she is only 3 HOWEVER I want to leave her home almost every time we leave the house...everything is an issue every day-hair, clothes, shoes, everything. I feel your pain. You are a great mom. Heavenly Father just for sure has a sense of humor and something huge to teach us. I am afraid it is only going to get worse!?

Jamie and Darla said...

Okay, I wish we lived closer! You are such a great Mom. I use to think I knew how to parent before I became a parent. Kids are hard at times but you will get to giggle when she grows up and her daughter does the same to her. :-)

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a Sunday.
Mom

Abe said...

That's funny, I probably would of done the same thing.

Debbie said...

Kris-You are the best mom! You and Addy have more of a connection than you think. You are supposed to be her mom. I don't think I could do it as well as you. I am trying to imagine Addy after you left her. Did it effect her at all? Did she cry? My girls, well you already know what they would do. I walk out of the bathroom and leave them there all alone and they freakout! I learned this last weekend that your best is good enough. Addy has to take her own road and you get to be the mom to gently guide her.
I love mom's comment on this post. Short and sweet but she still remembers a Sunday long ago like the one you had this week. It almost makes me want to cry!

Kelly said...

I love it!! That's so funny that you left her! Kudos to you for staying so calm! I love Love and Logic too!! My two year old has started giving me choices.....
Anyways, I say put her in the car at 8:30 regardless of what she looks like. She'll learn to wake up earlier if she has to go to church in her pajamas.
I can't believe you get five kids ready for church all by yourself. You're AMAZING!!

Anonymous said...

addy your doing a great job but be good for mom i love you crystal

janet said...

What I wouldn't give to have some of that DRAMA at my house. Girls are the best. And seriously, if you ever want her to spend a year or so in Vegas, let me know. People pay good money for the entertainment she gives.

Cindy Lou said...

Kristy I love that story you told me about Addy and what she said she experienced in the pre-existence. She said that before she came to earth Jesus told her that she needs to take off her wings. No wonder she loves Tinkerbell and fairies so much!
She is full of opinion and life and all you can do is try your best to guide her. I don't have kids so I don't know how it feels to be actually be the mom, but I have seen you with your kids. You are a great mom and the only thing that I can think of is to have the spirit with you ALL the time. I've learned a lot about that in the last couple of weeks. If you are looking for direction and help, the only way is to receive revelation is if you have the spirit:)
You are a great mom Kristy!! I love you!

will, jess, gabbie, kensie, cambrie... said...

that is so funny! i am a little scared because my kensie and your addy sound a lot of alike, very opinionated. hopefully we wont butt heads too often. i can totally see you doing this! its great.
sending my love to you and your little ones. jess

Marissa said...

That is so funny Kristy. Just think how great it's going to be when she's old and has kids of her own. I'm sure she'll do the same thing to her daughter. Can't wait to see you again!

Bethany C. said...

Wow. I'm laughing because this story is so funny, but it's not funny because it's REAL and I would not have any idea what to do. Kids come they way they come.

After visiting once, Tearsa recommended this book to me (Spencer was a crazy, active, strong-willed toddler). It's called, 'You can't make me but I can be persuaded,' by Cynthia Tobas? I loved it because she parents a set of twins, one of which is very 'strong-willed.' It gave some good tips, but mostly it helped me understand my kid's own uniqueness better and figure out what motivates him. I'm a reader, so I appreciate a book reference. Whatever helps, right?

Here, here to getting your kids ready by yourself!

The Meek Family said...

Nothing to say but I love you both! Oh the fun to look forward to!!